Monday, December 25, 2023

Research is fun—Tricia McGill

Find this and all my other books here

My latest book to be released in January is set in Tasmania, or to use the fond name for this delightful island just off the coast of my home state Victoria, The Apple Isle. My hubby and I almost settled there years ago, but it was not to be, for job opportunities for him were scarce there back in the 70s. As luck would have it, I have spent many happy holidays over there and I have a friend of many years who lives there. 

A Troubled Heart is set in the Tasmania of the 1840s (Van Diemen’s Land as it was then), a far different place to that of today. Finn, my hero, spent years in the notorious convict prison at Port Arthur and when driving around this area today it is difficult to believe that such horrible confinement and unthinkable treatment took place there. The Government of the day considered it a perfect setting for a prison as the only road out to gain access to the rest of the island was via Eaglehawk Neck, just 30 metres wide and guarded by armed soldiers rumoured to have half starved dogs with them. Anyone who tried their luck in the sea bypassing this neck would stand a good chance of being eaten by sharks.

Hobart and then Launceston were settled well before it was decided that Melbourne would be a fine place to start another town. In 1835 John Batman and John Pascoe Fawkner left Launceston in separate expeditions to launch the first settlement at Port Phillip which developed into Melbourne, Victoria’s capital city.





 


1 comment:

  1. Nice to learn about the history of down under. Thanks for sharing. And Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive