Friday, January 26, 2024

Time to get my brain into gear—Tricia McGill

 

Find all my books here on my author page

Sadly, the old brain is not so much letting me down but it seems more as if the silly old codger is not sure which direction to take. I have spent the past week procrastinating. Not something I enjoy. Have I simply run out of ideas for my next story? Second to historical I have always loved reading and writing time-travel, and always relished the research entailed in writing both genres. During this period of indecisiveness, I came upon one unfinished, unedited manuscript sitting on my computer that has been put aside over the years waiting for attention. Right, I decided, perhaps turn that contemporary romance into a time-travel. But no, not sure that would work. As it happens it was one of the first books I ever penned and subsequently has lain unworked on for a long time. Should I spend time resurrecting that, or should I start something new? There I go, procrastinating all over again. It was written so long ago that at one stage I had to scan the whole typed thing onto my computer. As you see, it was written in the days when manuscripts were typed up and a paper copy was then sent off to prospective publishers. Thank goodness for the internet.

I have the story line all set up, already have names for my main, and secondary characters, so what is holding me up. Perhaps it is awareness of how everything has changed since those far off days.  When I began writing in earnest, social media as we know it today—and at times hate it—was unheard of. There were few outside distractions. Perhaps I am showing my age, but I long for those far off days when life was so much simpler. Days when I spent many happy hours at the local library poring over research tomes for my facts.

In writing my current problem down I hoped for inspiration but I am no closer to making a decision. It is lunch time so I will go off and do some more procrastinating while munching on my sandwich and hope that something clicks in the old grey matter to send me off in the right (write) direction.



3 comments:

  1. I also found an old manuscript roughly written. I will write it once I've finished 2 current WIPs. Along with it is a jotted idea for ten morebooks in the series. Maybe if there's time enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your process. Procrastination and writer's block may also be due to winter blues. It's cold and damp even in Arizona, and not conducive to creativity... but when you are all the way down, things can only change for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, not to do with winter blues as it is summer in my part of the world, so can't use that as an excuse. Have the first glimmer of an idea now what to do next.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive