Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Random Thoughts on June by Helen Henderson

 

Windmaster Golem
Click the title for purchase information

Topics for June are often focused on weddings and Father's Day. The weddings, or handfastings in the fantasy worlds I hang out in,  have been covered numerous times. The formal ceremonies of Captain Ellspeth and Lord Dal kicked off their adventures in Windmaster Legacy. Fire and Redemption ended not only with the closing ceremonies of the trader clan's convocation but with a celebration of Karst's and Brial's commitment to each other.

Which left acknowledging the men in my life. One would have a heart attack if I posted his picture and an anecdote of our fifty-plus years together. The other took his final flight westward a few mere weeks before the towers fell on 9-11. A family favorite picture is of him in his flight uniform, cap pulled down over his eyes, peacefully sleeping in his recliner. But that is a private image, not one to risk posting on the Internet. So I shared another one. However, a cautionary note. Riding sans-saddle with only a blanket is not recommended. When the pony was not on a lead line and we were out in the plowed field, I allowed him to pick up his gait. He hit a full gallop, I slid off and found the one rock left in the field. Stone met arm then arm met a cast.


I have been told that there are special moments in their lives. A wedding day and the birth of a child. Which reminded me that June can be known for another significant event - high school graduation. College graduations were the end of May, but high school (at least in the region where I grew up) were always late June. They ended early enough that the students were free to help bring in the summer crops. A happy note on the local news of a sailor who made it to his son's graduation with minutes to spare reminded me that like many in the airline industry or the military my father was unable to attend my graduation. But he slipped in the back of the room, uniform and all, at the honor's dinner. So he in essence was able to be there for one of the activities surrounding my graduation.

In recognition of Father's Day and graduation days, a snippit from Windmaster Golem. To set the stage the candidates for journeyman status have been summoned, the bonfire lit, and the family's gathered. The crowd was silent as one by one several students answered the call. The tension deepened when Ellspeth and Dal's twin daughers, Elendl and Denai, walked hand-in-hand in support of each other to the bonfire, and selected the hilt, blade, and element that would be their symbol as a mage.

Elendl and Denai’s shift to stand before their parents pulled him from his thoughts. Elendl kneeled before her father, offering the blade, hilt, and stone. Denai mirrored the actions to her mother.Although neither Ellspeth nor Dal allowed the pleasure they felt an uncontrolled rein, Brodie sensed their happiness join the rest of the good wishes rising from the bonfire. Hilt slid into the blade, and their token of magic, whether the shell or stone, clicked into its setting. Their hands on their daughters’ heads, both Ellspeth and Dal moved their lips in silent blessing.

“May Lady Ellspeth and I have another moment of your attention,” Dal called out. In response, those watching quieted. “Ellspeth and I have an announcement.” A wave brought Denai and Elendl to them. “There has been talk about my lady and I being prejudiced about Denai and Elendl’s powers. And you’re correct.”

Laughter rippled through the crowd, then died down. “I swear on my honor as archmage, that they have not received any awards they did not earn.

To purchase the Windmaster Novels: BWL

~Until next month, stay safe and read.   Helen


Helen Henderson lives in western Tennessee with her husband. While she doesn’t have any pets in residence at the moment, she often visits a husky who have adopted her as one the pack. Find out more about her and her novels on her BWL author page.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these precious memories of your father. Mine, also long gone, taught me how to ride a bicycle.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive