Tuesday, July 30, 2024

On the Job as a Freelancer by Eden Monroe

 


  Find all of Eden Monroe's books click this link

https://www.bookswelove.com/monroe-eden/

In the romantic suspense novel Sudden Turn (Book Three of The Martel Sisters trilogy), Ginger Martel is a freelance reporter. Ginger’s choice of career was inspired by my own work as a freelancer. I’ve spoken in an earlier blog about one particular incident I encountered while on a freelance assignment several years ago, but in this blog I’ll also remember a few more positive experiences.

I was always up for anything action-oriented, and since I was the one scouting out a great many of my freelancing opportunities, I easily found some really cool things to write about. On one particular occasion I was welcomed aboard a Coast Guard vessel, the crew engaged in placing navigational buoys in and around Saint John Harbour. That was interesting to say the least, and in undertaking this story I was also challenging my fear of deep water. Once underway I was fine, and the day ended with an impromptu fire drill just to add some unexpected excitement. Great photos too.

Another time I stepped aboard a Fisheries and Oceans Canada patrol vessel, sailing from Blacks Harbour across the mighty Bay of Fundy to the island of Grand Manan. The day provided a wealth of information for this really informative piece, and yet another water challenge because I do not consider myself amphibious in any way. I was fine on the almost thirty kilometre trip across the Bay to the island, however on the return voyage I was given a tour of the engine room below and when I came back up on deck again I began to encounter seasickness. The balance of the trip was memorable. My lunch managed to stay down (fish chowder, what else?) but I had to go outside and stand in the rain to get some much-needed fresh air. I was pretty happy to see land again, and it took three days to fully recover my equilibrium. Nevertheless, I’m still glad I made the trip.

I have rappelled down the side of an office building during Police Week and on another occasion participated in ocean training maneuvers, both with the RCMP; was an extra pair of eyes spotting from a helicopter searching for a deceased person; accompanied police officers on river patrol, and took a turn in an army tank among countless other experiences. Really fun stuff as a freelancer.

Along the way I have interviewed hundreds of people from all walks of life, from children to senior seniors. One lady at the age of 105 told me she still made bread everyday, but didn’t wash ceilings anymore because, as she explained to me at her community birthday party, “it’s just too much for me now.” I also spoke with an energetic 106 year-old in late 1999 about the new millennium amid all of the dire predictions of global computer collapse as the year 2000 bore down upon us. I asked him what it had been like to experience the changeover from 1899 to 1900. He told me with a smile: “We went to bed the night before, got up the next morning and simply carried on. It was just another day.”

I was fortunate enough to interview several provincial premiers, one Canadian prime minister, mayors, etc. and when I interviewed any politician, I wasn’t as much interested in party positions or political strategies as I was what made them tick as an individual.  One highlight for me was the opportunity to chat with celebrated painter Alex Colville, who was absolutely delightful, and a memorable conversation with Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. who took exception to my question: “Do you think your father (if he were still living) would be proud of what you have accomplished?”

Another engaging conversation was with author and political philosopher John Ralston Saul whom I found to be very personable, and on a separate occasion spoke with former broadcaster, Adrienne Clarkson, his wife, just before she was appointed to the role of Her Excellency, Canada’s 26th Governor General. (Now retired)

I’ve written several newspaper columns - from sports (athletes, coaches and such) and young entrepreneurs to those enjoying fifteen minutes of fame, a column featuring senior seniors - and everything else in between it seems. The seniors column was fun and almost to a person, when I asked the question why do you think you’ve lived so long, the reply was usually the same: “Use it or lose it.”  One woman said: “I don’t know, it must be the pills.”

Working as a freelancer was interesting and has provided me with a wealth of fond memories … for the most part. That’s why I enjoyed writing about Ginger Martel, and in doing so recalling one not so great freelance experience upon which Sudden Turn is based:

“Her feeling of relief was palpable as she took hold of the doorknob, now that it seemed he was about to back off and stop his foolishness. At least he was going to let her go, but then she remembered the three German shepherds waiting in the yard.

‘Those dogs aren’t going to attack me when I go to my car are they?’ she asked, trying to keep things light lest his mood deteriorate yet again before she was able to escape.

‘They will if I tell them to.’

A shiver ran through her and holding the doorknob, she struggled to remain composed. ‘Okay, then please walk me to my car so I can get there safely.’

‘Sure,’ he agreed affably, grinning. ‘You go first.’

Opening the door she stepped out onto the landing, Cedric close behind. He sounded a loud whistle and the dogs, barking, bounded forward and started up the stairs. Their long chains provided them with plenty of leeway. Letting out a loud shriek she turned back, smack dab up against him. Just as the dogs were about to reach her, he gave a sharp command of Stay! Then Go! The dogs retreated, their nails clicking on the bleached wooden steps before reaching the bottom and continuing out into to the now muddy yard.”

 https://www.bookswelove.com/monroe-eden/


 

3 comments:

  1. I love the beach and the waves for surfing, but I never was a good sailor. Even on a calm sea, I will throw up my lunch. What an interesting life you had. As for the short scene at the end. it makes me shiver. Great suspense. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading of the places you've beenand done as freelancer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite a background in writing--boots on the ground and in the air too! :)

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you are a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive