Monday, July 22, 2024

Reaching across time and cultures


As the characters reveal the plots to me (yes, I am often just the recorder of what they say) I'm led to places I'd not expected. Sometimes, I'm thrown back to the past. Other times, I'm exposed to new locations, cultures, and uncomfortable situations. As a reader, you assume the setting, time, and situations are chosen while I'm developing and outlining the plot. In part, they are. In reality, much of the book unfolds for me as I write, much as it does for you, the reader.

In "Strung Out to Die" I had chosen the location, Manzanar National Historic Site, as the setting for this book. The premise, a murder, is a given. The means, motive, and opportunity evolved as I wrote. The other, unexpected side of the book was the tie in to the local Paiute-Shoshone residents on the region. 

After a LOT of research, I found interesting ties to some local legends. The research made me learn, reach, and create some appropriate characters to reveal the legends and their connection to the story. 

A number of readers have urged me to include the Jamie Ballard character in more of my books. For those of you not familiar with him, Jamie is a Navajo Nation police officer who has partnered with my US Park Service investigators on a number of investigations that involve Native culture. It was fun to bring Jamie, a newlywed, back into a book as a cultural advisor. He's an extreme introvert and struggles with social situations. In this case, it was interesting to put him into a situation where Doug and Jill Fletcher give him relationship advice to ease his transition into married life and fatherhood.

In addition to that cultural endeavor, I found myself dealing with the history of Americans, of Japanese descent, who were interred at Manzanar during WWII. I learned a lot about what they endured, while creating a community for themselves. It was fun to tap into a bit of that history, and about the current Park Service site. I enjoyed revealing that history to the readers through my characters.

Another surprise was in the history of the site, in the Owen's Valley of California. Early in the 20th century, the city of Los Angeles needed water and the Owens Valley water was redirected to LA. I slipped that possible motive into the murder investigation. Much to my surprise, a news item appeared after the book went into print. The local Paiute/Shoshone tribe is suing for return of the "stolen" Owens Valley water rights. The case is being handled in the US federal courts. That news made me smile, thinking that I was spot on with that being a regional hot button issue!

Beyond the water rights issue, there is a murder, more mystery, the usual Doug and Jill banter, along with some local intrigue and politics. I hope you'll read "Strung Out to Die". I don't think my Fletcher fans will be disappointed.

For the Jamie Ballard fans, I left a door ajar for the future.

Check it out at my publisher's website 

Hovey, Dean - BWL Publishing Inc. (bookswelove.net) 


on Amazon, B&N, Kobo, or Apple.

Amazon.com : strung out to die hovey

 

Dean Hovey

1 comment:

  1. Sounds really good, Dean. I like it when writers dig into different cultures. Jamie sounds like an interesting character. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive