Tuesday, July 16, 2024

When time flies away, by J.C. Kavanagh

The award-winning Twisted Climb series
Order yours here:
https://www.bookswelove.net/kavanagh-j-c/

The past 12 months have been filled with highs and lows. Mostly lows. For over nine months, I watched while my mom weakened and withered away in her battle with lung and bone cancer. Time seemed to stand still. It was agonizing. I was one of her caregivers as it was her wish to pass at home. Three or four days a week I would be at her side, night and day. In March of last year, the doctor predicted two to four months. He underestimated her will to live. 

Mom, circa 1958

My mom, the stubborn Irish woman that she is (was), outlasted his prognosis by an additional five months. She passed in December, at home, and now rests with the angels.

Though grieving, time seemed to pick up speed. In March of this year, we finally found a home. We had sold our home the summer before, but my caregiving duties prevented any thorough searches for a new place. So, for a few months last year, we lived on our sailboat; then, before the winter snow arrived, we found a condo to rent, one in the same city where my mom lived. Was this a high or a low? Well, the high points were exploring the city, attending a Canadian football game (go ARGOS), cheering on the Toronto Blue Jays, and experiencing the incredible vibe at the Scotiabank arena when the Maple LEAFS played. The low? The ever-present helplessness as mom deteriorated. 

But back to this year. Time is flying as fast as the wings of a hummingbird. The days, weeks, months pass like single frames in an old-fashioned movie carousel. Maybe it's true - the older you get, the faster time 'flies.'

Last week, I visited my daughter and her wee family. Except they're not so wee anymore. Where has the time gone?

This is how I want to remember them - little enough to love a
Teddy Bear picnic with me, Nana J.

While I was visiting, we spent time remembering my mom - their 'Nannie.' I hope she felt the love we were sharing in her memory... before time flies away.


If you're looking for a great way to spend time reading an action-packed book this summer, check out my award-winning Twisted Climb series. You'll love them!

Remember to tell the ones you love, that you love them :)  


J.C. Kavanagh, author of
The Twisted Climb - A Bright Darkness (Book 3) Best YA Book FINALIST at Critters Readers Poll 2022
and
The Twisted Climb - Darkness Descends (Book 2) voted BEST Young Adult Book 2018, Critters Readers Poll and Best YA Book FINALIST at The Word Guild, Canada
AND
The Twisted Climb,
voted BEST Young Adult Book 2016, P&E Readers Poll
Voted Best Local Author, Simcoe County, Ontario, 2021
Novels for teens, young adults and adults young at heart
Email: author.j.c.kavanagh@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/J.C.Kavanagh
www.amazon.com/author/jckavanagh
Twitter @JCKavanagh1 (Author J.C. Kavanagh)
Instagram @authorjckavanagh


2 comments:

  1. So sorry about your mom. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Vijaya. The sharing is cathartic for me.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive