Wednesday, September 4, 2024

A Back-to-School Poem for Teachers by Julie Christen

 

    

I start my 29th year of teaching at the middle school today. Cheers!     
 

    Day 1 Therapy by Julie Christen

1 I wandered down the hall today, my heart all in a flutter.

The lockers shining, the floors pristine, and hallways free of clutter.


But I swear the air felt like that eerie calm before the storm

So I took a moment to still my heart with mem’ries fond and warm.


5 I remembered timid faces, bashful eyes, and unsure glances;

Some sized me up and wondered if they’d dare to take some chances.


Their folders all were filled with paper, brand new crisp, and clean.

Their heads were filled with good intentions, well-laid plans, and dreams.


As time went by, the gigglers giggled; class clowns played their jokes,

10 But I had faith they’d soon turn into clever, insightful folks.


Soon pencils vanished, papers crumpled, lockers bulged and jammed,

And teachers dreamed of swaying palms in some far-off land.


But hands and light bulbs popped over heads; ideas and confidence grew,

And my love for teaching was confirmed with every small breakthrough.


15 Before I knew it, the year was over; my kids were moving on.

I realized then that I would truly miss them when they were gone.


I wondered, “How can I preserve each growing work of art?”

So I gazed into each face and took a picture with my heart.


Now as I wander down the quiet, empty halls today,

20 Sweet mem’ries soothe my soul to send this school year underway.  


Just give me a little time to plan, and a big ol’ cup-a-joe,

Some paper, pencils, and bulletin boards, and I’ll be good to go!

1 comment:

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you are a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive