Monday, September 28, 2026

Genre Fiction: Are you a Purest? Or Pro Genre Mix? By Connie Vines #BWL #Writing Fiction, #ReadingRomance #Romantic Heroes, #Dangerous Heroes



 "What do you enjoy about blending genres while writing, and do you enjoy reading the mix?"

My responses are listed: 

 (Please post your responses in the comments.)

🕮

Reading: 

Historical and Romance seem to be a comfortable blend. A gentle push-pull of attraction and the details of daily life. I'm more inclined to read a "western" setting because the plot is faster-paced.

🎥

Movies: My favorite movie: "Somewhere in Time," Starring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour. 1980 Romance/ Fantasy. It is a film adaptation of the novel Bid Time Return (1975) by Richard Matheson, who also wrote the screenplay. 


My Writing: 

I'm comfortable with mixing "Romance and Paranormal." I don't know what this reveals about me... I was such a fan of the (black-and-white) "Universal Studios Classic Monsters Movies".

For the time period, the special effects in those movies were amazing! I also loved the "mood" music.

And like those classic movies, any hint of violence is offstage (or, in my case, nonexistence).



"Here Today, Zombie Tomorrow" is campy and fun (Just in time for Halloween; novella 2 in the series is in the works) 


"Romance and Suspense" Brede, Rodeo Romance, book 2. 

I approach this genre with great care to avoid nightmares. (Yes, Connie watches monster movies, but suspense has her hiding under the bed.) 

My secret? Write the happy ending first.



📺Television:

Hits of the past: "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Fargo". 

Shows of today: "Dark Winds" and "NCIS". 

 




The latest mixes in novels:

Romantacy: Romantic Fantasy. A subgenre using elements and conventions of the chivalric romance genre.

Literary Horror: A mix of literary fiction and horror, focusing on character development alongside chilling narratives.

Dystopian Romance: Combines dystopian settings with romantic plots to explore love in oppressive societies.

Cozy Mystery:  Merges light-hearted cozy settings with mystery plots, appealing to fans of both genres.

Of the latest mixes, I find Romantacy and Cozy Mysteries to be the ones I would most likely read and consider writing.

What are your thoughts on these new "genres"?  

Have you ever read any genre mix-ups? Or would you like to see?

"Swoon-worthy" fiction is always my choice! 


Happy Reading!

Connie

1 comment:

Comments are now live if we don't have a lot of spam they'll stay live, if we do they'll close again so spammers don't waste our time or yours

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive