Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Mother Dear by Eden Monroe

 

Macintosh HD:private:var:folders:q9:7v6_3qvx01xf91y22417jssw0000gn:T:TemporaryItems:781005518_1697342012394099_2798760067654535979_n.jpg

 

Imagine a mother telling a lie so outrageous that her son, her only surviving child, is arrested and charged with a serious crime. Imagine maintaining that lie at trial, under oath, and beyond while an innocent man, a successful local architect is sentenced to a lengthy term in penitentiary at great personal cost. Unthinkable. That is the novel, Almost Broken.

“Heaving a deep sigh Blaise laid his head back and closed his eyes. ‘It’s like I never thought this day would ever get here and now here it is. After my mother had her say at my early parole hearing I’m surprised they didn’t find a way to add time to my sentence. Who knows, come up with something to keep me inside longer. I guess she made sure I wouldn’t get out ahead of schedule though. She said she’d do it, and she did.’”

‘Blaise, what did you ever do to make her hate you so bad she’d be gunning for you like that?’

Blaise kept his eyes closed. ‘Well first of all, I was born. I don’t think she’s ever forgiven me for that. And then of course there’s Rory. That’s what this is really all about.’”

Declan sighed. ‘It’s not exactly a crime to come into this world, but yeah, Rory.’

‘Anyway, I don’t necessarily want to talk about her … or Rory. Not right now at least.’

Declan nodded as he switched to an FM station, keeping the volume low so they could chat. ‘Understood…’”

 

Macintosh HD:private:var:folders:q9:7v6_3qvx01xf91y22417jssw0000gn:T:TemporaryItems:488057757_10161910586734713_4914614988519687759_n.jpg

 

 

The story is set in the little town of Woodstock, New Brunswick, and pictured above is the local courthouse where Blaise Callaghan would have been tried and convicted.

At the heart of this romantic suspense novel is the unsettling truth that some mothers do not like their children … or in some instances, all of their children. Sadly there is a disconnect for many reasons, and in Almost Broken, that hatred carries terrible consequences. And while this is fiction, it’s sad to think there are any number of cases where for a variety of factors, mothers fail to bond with their children, or a particular child while being appropriately affectionate and loving to the others.  

And since there are always extremes in everything, including maternal bonding, I thought it might be interesting to see who is recorded among the worst mothers in modern history — whether it be “impaired maternal bonding” or simply not having their children’s best interests at heart. Sure enough I found just such a list at Insidesources.com/holy-cow-history-meet-the-five-worst-moms-in-history/.

Coming in at last place is Mary Ball Washington, George Washington’s mother. Fairly or unfairly she makes the list because she did not support George in his patriot cause. Many would say it was just a difference of opinion, or politics, because Mary remained loyal to the British crown, but it’s likely her political position caused her son no shortage of embarrassment. And, according to the piece, she was highly vocal about her support of England’s King George III, and equally as virulent about the USA’s bid for independence. Nevertheless it earned her a nod as a bad mother, in this situation at least. My two cents? Just because she disagreed with her son doesn’t necessarily make her a terrible mother.

 

MA  BARKER

 

In the number four slot is Arizona Donnie Barker, known better to everyone simply as Ma Barker. A star on the FBI’s Public Enemies list of lawbreakers, she was referred to by J. Edgar Hoover during the 1930’s as “the most vicious, dangerous and resourceful criminal brain of the last decade” — a woman who influenced her boys into a life of crime. That meant that sons Herman, Lloyd, Arthur (Doc) and Fred also became criminals, known for murder, stealing cars, kidnapping, armed robbery and knocking over banks, and leading the way by example was their mother.

 

                                            MARY ANN DID MURDER

 

We go back to the 19th century for number three, a very industrious and by all accounts hardworking Mary Ann Cotton — a nurse, dressmaker and housekeeper who had a penchant for poisoning people. That included her own children. Eleven of her thirteen children were killed in that horrific, agonizing fashion, as were her four husbands and two lovers. There are also two other deaths attributed to her during this killing spree. The age-old motive was insurance money, and arsenic was her weapon of choice to achieve those payouts. Mercifully the law caught up with her after twenty-one people died. She was hanged for her crimes.

 

JESSE’S  MOM

 

I will admit that number two surprised me because I had often seen Zerelda Elizabeth Cole James Simms Samuel (Jesse James’ mother) portrayed as long-suffering. Indeed she seems to have married well: her first husband was a Baptist minister, her second a wealthy neighbour, and her third a physician. She survived all three. In any event it is acknowledged that life had not always been kind to her, and perhaps it was suffering those unfortunate losses that helped make her tough. When her sons Frank and Jesse turned to crime it invited Pinkerton detectives into their lives. These lawmen were warned: “if the boys don’t kill you, the old lady will.” That story is well documented, usually in favour of the bad guys, and true she did withstand a lot, famously including the firebombing of the family home during which her youngest son, Archie, was killed. It also cost Zerelda her right forearm (amputated at home without anesthesia). Bitterness at these events could be why she went on to capitalize on her sons’ infamy by turning the James farm into a “tourist trap” because it seems she had no aversion to larceny. “…she sold old, rusted, guns that she claimed had belonged to Jesse; she actually bought them cheap at second-hand shops and charged a fortune for them. Which is why dozens of private gun collections today still boast a firearm that was ‘carried by Jesse James.’”

And coming in at number one? Well, that also surprised me considering the others on this list. Mama June of television reality show fame. According to Insidesources.com/holy-cow-history-meet-the-five-worst-moms-in-history/: “If you saw the show, you understand. ‘Nuff said.”

I’m sure there are countless other examples that are less well known, but thankfully most mothers are exactly as they should be ­— kind, loving, nurturing and devoted.

It is heartbreaking for those children unfortunate enough to be at the mercy of a mother who feels no maternal connection, except hatred, such as it is for Blaise Callaghan at the hands of his mother, Viola, in Almost Broken:

“’Mother, please, you have to tell the truth. I apologize for damaging your wall, I apologize for, I don’t know, not being a better son in whatever way you think I wasn’t. I’m sorry we never got along that well. I’m sorry you had to raise me on your own. I’m sorry for everything you had to go through as a single parent. I am very grateful for everything you’ve done for me, but you have to stop lying about what happened. What you did to me was shocking and you have to fix it. You have to tell the truth.’

‘I have to do no such thing. All I want is to be safe now that you’re back in Woodstock, so I have requested a restraining order against you. You’re not to be in contact with me anymore.’

He was aghast, his jaw dropping and it took a few seconds to recover. ‘Are you serious? I didn’t make contact with you, it was you who called me.’

She continued as if he hadn’t spoken. ‘I’m warning you, if you come anywhere near me I’ll have you arrested. Now don’t phone me and don’t come to my home. That’s what I called to tell you. I’m not interested in talking to you about anything else. As far as I’m concerned I don’t have a son anymore, so stay away from me.’

‘Mother, you know I didn’t contact you. What’s wrong with you! Why are you doing this? Haven’t you hurt me enough already? Why are you trying to destroy me? Why!’

‘It doesn’t matter why.’

‘It matters! You doing that, saying I contacted you and asking for a restraining order could get me sent back to prison for violation of my release.’

‘Exactly. Face it, Blaise, you’re all done.’”

www.bookswelove.com

https://www.facebook.com/AuthorEdenMonroe/

https://edenmonroeauthor.com

https://books2read.com/Watched-by-Eden-Monroe

 

1 comment:

  1. What an interesting bit of the story shown. It's hard tobelieve a mother as being so cruel but I know it's possible.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now live if we don't have a lot of spam they'll stay live, if we do they'll close again so spammers don't waste our time or yours

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive