Sunday, January 7, 2018

Holidays Are Over - Or - Time to Take Down the Tree

http://www.bookswelove.net/authors/dowell-roseanne/
The man next door, his granddaughter, and her sister’s ghost help bring Rose Asbury out of her seclusion.

 
Click here to Visit Roseanne's BWL author page for links to purchase from your favorite online retailer

     I love the holidays. Always have, probably always will. I can't wait to decorate and I begin before Thanksgiving. This year was extra special, we'd recently moved into our new house - not new by new standards, but new to us. Actually, the house was built in the 50s, so far from new. But that didn't matter, it was all freshly painted and everything looks new.

     I always look forward to putting up the tree, although last year, I replaced our 7 foot tree with a smaller 4 foot one that sits on a table. I miss the big tree, but the smaller one is easier. I guess I've graduated to a full-fledged senior citizen. I never thought I'd give up the big tree and the decision wasn't easy. Although the house we lived in really didn't have room for the larger tree. I had to move a lot of furniture to fit it in.
But that's another story.  Thing is, I hate taking the tree down. I hate taking all all the decorations down. While some people, my sister included, can't wait to take theirs down, and think it looks clean. I think it looks bare and boring. I miss the lights and colorful decorations.

     I'm sure by now, most people have their trees down, decorations put away, and all thoughts of Christmas far behind them. I never take ours down until after January 6th, the feast of the Epiphany (and my oldest son's birthday) and yes, that was yesterday.

     I'm not normally a procrastinator. I've always been very organized. I plan ahead and do things far in advance as I can. Nothing waits for the last minute.  Nothing except taking down the decorations. I put it off as long as I can. I hate the way it looks. So cold and dreary. I mean, let's face it, January is a dreary month as it is. Very little sunshine, at least in this part of the country, Northeast Ohio. Unfortunately, it's inevitable, I've threatened to leave the tree up and decorate it for various holidays throughout the year, but I can't bring myself to do it. It's a Christmas tree after all, not a holiday tree.

I guess I should look at it as a clean, fresh start to the new year. However, they have to stay up until after the feast of the Epiphany, which was the 6th.That's when my mom took ours down, so it's become a tradition for me. The official end to the Christmas season.  Maybe I'll do it today, or I might just wait until tomorrow. It'll get done eventually.
Happy New Year, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive