Tuesday, January 21, 2020

The Mysterious Derec Pritchard by Diane Scott Lewis



For my Revolutionary War adventure, Her Vanquished Land, my main male character is a Welshman with a dark past. Let's find out more about Derec Pritchard with a Character Interview:

 
 
Derec, the Welsh don't care much fore the English, why do you spy for their cause?
The tall, lanky man took a chair. "Aye, I needed money, and to leave Wales after an...incident with my step-father, a horrible man."
An incident?
"He used his fists on my mum." His black eyes above sharp cheekbones burned fiercely. "I had to stab him, not to death mind. But scared him off. Now I send her money to keep her from being evicted."
I see. That was awful for you and your mother. What are your duties is the spying business?
"Code breaking. Stopping messengers, taking their satchels." He pushed back his three-cornered hat. "Sending the information to the British generals."
Is that how you met Miss Marsh?
"Not exactly. She's a hoyden, that one." A smile creased his face. "Dressed as a boy, said her name was Rowland. But I found out it's Rowena."
What did you think of Rowena?
"Thought her in the way at first. But then she was able to decode the new code in ancient Greek from the rebels." He nodded slowly. "An asset."
Are you attracted to her?
"Wasn't." Derec shifted in the wooden chair. "Never bothered with a lasting relationship with a woman, and she was still a girl. Barely eighteen."
But she grew on you...?
"Aye, I must admit, her bravery and stubbornness impressed me. I still resisted. I didn't want to be tied down."
Did she convince you to start a relationship?
"That's not her way. No flirt, that one. Besides, I don't want to settle down in one place. Women want that."
So you'll--
"I must continue my duties to the Crown." He squared his shoulders in his dark frock coat. "The rebels grow stronger, winning more battles. The British troops are stretched thin." His voice softened. "Rowena has left with her family to find safety."
Then there's no happy ending?
"We will see. First, I must join the fight, which could be the death of me." Derec stood and strode from the room.
 

  



Purchase from BWL site.

For more information on me and my books, visit my website: Diane Scott Lewis
 
Diane Scott Lewis grew up in California, traveled the world with the navy, edited for an on-line publisher, and wrote book reviews for the Historical Novel Society. She lives with her husband and one naughty puppy in Western Pennsylvania.
 

3 comments:

  1. Loved this novel. I've always thought to read or write about the American Revolution from another perspective, esp after going into the Chester England cathedral where the inscription on a tombstone said he had been a colonist until the rebels took everything from him, leaving him destitute. He was forced to return to England. Not many think of this side of the cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful book, and this character, Derec the Welshman is a an intriguing character. I have to admit I knew little of the Revolution except what I had learnt from movies so this was also a history lesson for me.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive