Friday, February 21, 2020
The Hoyden and the Revolution by Diane Scott Lewis
Last month I interviewed the mysterious Welshman, Derek Pritchard, who spies for the British during the American Revolution. Today we'll talk to Rowena Marsh, the leading lady and his possible love interest. When my novel, Her Vanquished Land, opens, Rowena is nearly eighteen and her father is being tarred and feathered.
Rowena, your family's stubbornness to remain with the King has caused them to be persecuted. Why choose this side and not the Patriot's?
"My poor father!" Rowena sits quickly; her brown curls bounce. She isn't beautiful but radiates a determined spirit. "He believes we can't survive without the support of England. And I too can't fathom how these rebels will be able to form a new country. But by the by, we should be allowed our own choices."
The Patriots have hanged the Loyalists for not joining them. And burned their homes. Aren't you afraid?
"It is terrible. We're worried our farm will be confiscated...if not burned. But how do you change your loyalties? I understand the high taxes from England are wrong; that's what we should fight to eliminate."
Are you joining the fight?
"I have to. But since women aren't allowed to be soldiers, I dress as a boy." She arranges her long skirt and petticoat as if it offends her. "Other women on both sides have done this. I've decoded messages in ancient Greek stolen from the rebels. I've done well to aid our side, though my aunt calls me a hoyden."
Have you seen battle?
"Yes and it was horrible. For both the Loyalists and Rebels. I've been captured, but I escaped." She turns her head away. "The second time, with the help of Derec."
Ah, the handsome Welshman. How close are the two of you?
Rowena's freckled cheeks flush. She raises her chin. "His presence has stirred feelings in me. But he's a man on a mission and has little time for...love. I may be a hoyden but I'm not a light-skirt."
With the rebels finding more successes, what will you do now?
"I don't know if my family has a future in America anymore. And...I often think of Derec as we flee to safety. I'm now tired of war. I want a home and family, and a husband who appreciates my strength." She sighs, more frustrated than sad. "Major battles are to come, and I will join in if needed. But will there be hope for us?"
Purchase Her Vanquished Land and my other novels at BWL
For more info on me and my books, check out my website: Dianescottlewis
Diane Scott Lewis lives in Western Pennsylvania with her husband and one naughty puppy.
Labels:
#BWL Publishing Inc.,
#Diane Scott Lewis,
American Revolution,
Her Vanquished Land,
loyalists,
Pennsylvania
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
As most experienced authors will tell you, their characters become old friends and much of the book is nothing more than recording their c...
-
https://books2read.com/b/Jillian-of-Banff Barnes and Noble Amazon September means seven. I know. I hear you. It’s the ninth month. B...
-
People, at least most I know with, don't realize how much goes into being a e-published author. My family thinks the time I spend ...
-
To order your copy of this award-winning series, click on this link: https://www.bookswelove.com/shop/series/the-twisted-climb I'm pre...
-
Please click this link for author and book information One thing I like about writing short stories is the chance to explore genres and ch...
-
Azura Chronicles series, Byzantium series, Blue Phantom series, different takes on the Azura Universe amazon - B&N - Smashwords back l...
-
We all know about black cats and their associations with “witches” and bad luck if one happens to cross your path. But what about bla...
-
A common belief in most of Asia is that of reincarnation. After we die, the eternal soul reincarnates into another body. Some believe in m...
-
When did you decide to become a writer? It's a question I am asked at every book signing and speaking engagement. Becoming a writer was ...
-
Recently I saw a wonderful musical from the early fifties, "Showboat." Whenever I mention this movie to a friend, I invar...



Found the idea of your book fascinating.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Janet. You are always attentive to blogs and reviews. Appreciated.
ReplyDeleteLoved this novel, a different view on an important issue.
ReplyDelete