Thursday, August 13, 2026

Beyond the Beyond



My latest releases: Spectral Evidence and...

 


...the third book of my Navaho Code Talker series, All of Me


 

I don't see any boundaries between any of the art forms.

I think they all inter-relate completely.
~ David Bowie ~

 

BWL website

 

One of my favorite stories that my friend Juilene Osborne-McKnight tells is of a boy whose mother loves him "beyond the beyond." Ah, the musical way the phrase rolls off the tongue of this wonderful Irish-American shanachie! And what a boundary-breaking image it conjures.




It's good to have friends who help you venture "beyond the beyond..."


Creative people participate in many and appreciate all forms of creative expression. I thought of that when I was urged to sing by my grandson's piano teacher. 

Also when my fingers ache for a piece of chalk so I can make a sidewalk creation beside a treasured child.



Speaking of treasured children, has anyone seen my grandson among his troop of monkeys?


I pushed my own creative writing boundaries recently with two future book projects. After saying that my specialty in the long form of the novel, I decided to take on two (count 'em two!) collections of short stories. Me? Who never met a plot that couldn't be expanded to book length??? Well, here I go, with the blessings of my deeply missed co-writer, Jude Pittman. I hope you'll try both The Ghosts of Bell Island and Vermont Gothic, due out in 2027.


  




Another wonderful writer friend, Eileen O'Finlan, recently asked me to do a character voice for promotion of her series focused on an Irish-American immigrant family. Have you read them? Kelegeen was followed by Erin's Children and they are great, well-researched tales powered by unforgettable characters. I have not acted in a long time. But will I take the project on? Of course.




Creativity feeds creativity. What ways do you exercise your creative intelligence, friends? What takes you "beyond the beyond?"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now live if we don't have a lot of spam they'll stay live, if we do they'll close again so spammers don't waste our time or yours

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive