Wednesday, June 23, 2021

What I Have Learned From Actors by Victoria Chatham

 

 


 AVAILABLE HERE


As a writer, I have learned my craft from many sources. Books, workshops, sessions at conferences, other authors, and reading as much as I can from a range of genres and not only my genre of choice, Regency romance. One avenue that is often overlooked is watching movies.

I have to say I am an avid movie buff but, much as I now read differently, I also watch movies differently. I listen more to the dialogue, and I watch the actors' faces more, jotting down notes about their expressions. It is so easy so write that he/she grinned, winked, frowned, or twitched a smile. But what does somebody’s face actually look like while they are grinning, winking, frowning, or twitching a smile? What does that even mean?

Watching any good actor is a learning experience from the way they move to the timing and delivery of their lines. Think of the great dames: Joan Plowright, Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, and Emma Thompson. Another of my favourite UK actors is Maggie Steed. In the US, anything with Katherine Hepburn, Meryl Streep, Renee Zellweger - especially her seduction scene in the movie Appaloosa, Sandra Bullock, and Anne Hathaway is worth watching.  

As far as the male line-up goes, and I don't mind dating myself here, I hark back to the likes of Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, and Laurence Olivier. Denzel Washington, Ed Harris, Viggo Mortensen, Richard Burton and Anthony Hopkins are also up there, and the list could go on. I’m sure many will disagree with my choices and have their own favourites whether they are writers or not.

Old movies are available from many sources, and it was only recently that I was able to watch Casablanca and The Black Falcon all the way through without any interruption. I also like foreign movies such as the Deepa Mehta Elemental trilogy, Earth, Fire, and Water which looked at controversial issues and social reform in India.

 

I recently watched a 1980’s era movie, Withnail and I. Much like the American classic Easy Rider, it moved into something of a cult status. I had heard of it, but never watched it and wasn’t sure the story of two seemingly continually drunk, hapless, helpless out-of-work actors in London in 1969 was something I particularly wanted to watch, but I’m glad I did. Written and directed by Bruce Robinson, and loosely based on Robinson’s own story, Withnail and I runs the gamut of emotions of friendship, love, sexuality, humour, letting go and loss. It is a tragi-comedy reminiscent of some of the works of Shakespeare. One of the final scenes shows the I character (never named in the movie) walking away from Withnail, played by Richard E Grant. The look on his face is a tour de force of despair, even to his flesh seeming to melt from his face. The monologue at the end, filmed at the wolf enclosure at the London Zoo, is one of the best ever.


The elements of great movies can be found in great books, and in many cases vice versa. Portraying the actors’ facial expressions in words to improve my own writing is an ongoing exercise, and one I shall continue to work at. 

 

Victoria Chatham

  AT BOOKS WE LOVE

 ON FACEBOOK



Images from internet sources.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts. I wonder how much we watch and unconsciously garner clues to use in our writing. I've enjoyed your stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet. I think, to some degree, that writers absorb a lot of information without realizing it.

      Delete
  2. I'm also a movie and TV series enthusiast. Beyond the dialogue and the facial expressions, I also analyze the storyline, sequence, goals, motivations, conflicts, and character development... all within two hours.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive