Saturday, August 7, 2021

Do-It-Yourself Writing Retreat by Eileen O'Finlan

 

     

   
   
I have spent that last eight months researching in preparation for my next historical novel. It's always a tough call for me to assess when I'm ready to begin the actual writing. Though I know research will continue through to the final page, there has to come a point when I feel I have done enough to be comfortable diving into the writing. Still, typing those first words is daunting. This time I had just the boost I needed.

On Monday, July 19th, my friend and fellow author, Jane Willan, and I set off for the home of another friend and writer, BWL author, Eileen Charbonneau in Bellows Falls, Vermont for a homemade writing retreat.

Every morning after an amazing breakfast served up by Eileen's husband, Ed, we each went off to our own corners of Eileen's lovely home to write. We had lunch on our own whenever we got hungry and either ate yet another amazing meal cooked by "Chef Ed" or we all went out to eat. Each evening, the three of us gathered to exchange what we'd written that day and critique one another's work.

I doubt I have ever been so productive in such a short time, especially at the start of a new novel. In the five days I was there, I completed the first draft of three and a half chapters. Given that my work-in-progress has a dual timeline, something I've never before attempted, having the guidance and feedback from these two veteran authors was indespensible. 

Writing with others and being accountable for accomplishing something by the end of each day provided great motivation and inspiration. With each of us in a different place with out current projects - Eileen in the middle of her next novel, Jane working on the final revision, and me at the very beginning - we ran the gamut of the writing process.

Thanks to Eileen, we were able to offer a presentation and book signing at Village Square Booksellers. We were honored to be featured in this Bellows Falls book store's first post-COVID event and grateful for a good and enthusiastic turnout.

Though there are many worthwhile writing retreats offered all over the world, the cost and travel involved make them unobtainable for many. My advice to those who would love to go on a writing retreat is to find another author or two and create your own retreat. You don't have to go far or spend a lot of money. You can do as we did if space allows and hold it at the home of one of the writers. What's important is a dedicated time and place to write and, later, to meet for critique. It is amazing what can be accomplished. Of course, it helps to have a guy like Eileen's Ed around to handle all the meals in spectacular fashion.

                                            Left to right - Jane Willan, Eileen Charbonneau,
                                            Eileen O'Finlan at the last critique session of our
                                            writing retreat (follwed by Ed's homemade pizza!)


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time. Glad to know there'll be a new book by you

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! I'm having retreat withdrawal!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Eileen! I used to go on retreats with writer friends at an old, presumably haunted hotel. I used to do monthly critiques with author friends. But I moved, etc, etc and the world changed. At lease with the internet and Zoom I am now back in touch with some of that group.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive