Friday, August 6, 2021

I Carry Home With Me by Jay Lang

 

                      I Carry Home with me

                                 Author Jay Lang

                                          


My time as a child spent on Read Island was nothing short of magical. If I wasn’t jigging for cod in our beautiful little bay, floating under the magnificent eagle that would sit on a branch hanging over the water, I was traipsing behind my dad in the forest.  He would point out little places, under the canopy of the majestic trees and on the lush forest floor where tiny creatures could hide. He used to say, “Be careful where you step. You don’t want to tread on a gnome’s home or a fairy’s lair.” It was the sparkle in his eyes and the enthusiasm in his voice that convinced me the island was an enchanted place. Looking back, I understand just how privileged I was to witness the wonder of my surroundings, from the playful seals that would pop their heads up beside our dock, or the magnificent whales that would pass by and breach high out of the water. I was living in a moving painting. The memories of Read Island are imprinted deep in me, and no matter where I’ve travelled or how far my journey sometimes takes me, my heart and my spirit have always belonged to the coast.  

When I moved away and attended university and became a writer, I always knew that in order for my stories to come to life, I needed to write about places I loved and knew well.  So, before I write, I close my eyes and go back all those decades ago when I was a young girl sitting in Surge Narrows on the Dodmans Wharf eating a chocolate bar, the feeling of the salt air on my skin, the sound of the waves in my ear, and I’m there again. Granted, my stories are suspense novels, but every book I write always has a strong connection to the beauty of the coast. Read Island is part of the Discovery Islands, located between Vancouver Island and the mainland. The small island had an old one-room schoolhouse which taught grades 1-12. The school boat was operated by whomever volunteered to pick up the kids from around the bays and coves of the island. Instead of electricity, running water and markets, we had woodstoves, kerosene lamps, wells and gardens. All these years later, Read Island hasn’t changed. There are no ferries that go to or from Vancouver Island, only water taxis or private boats.

For purchase information on Jay Lang books click book covers




 


 
If ever you wanted to see rustic beauty in the purest, most spectacular form, I highly recommend a visit to Read Island. 
 All of my novels are available at bookswelove.net/lang-jay/ 
My novels are Hush, Shatter, Shiver, Storm, The Cove, Impulse, and I’m currently working on my next novel, The Immoral.

 


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a magical place and one to increase imagination

    ReplyDelete
  2. Childhood memories are very powerful. What a wonderful way to share the places you love with your readers.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive