Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Book signings and "colorful" readers


 Book signing events are the lifeblood of an author. If we're not out among our readers, talking about and signing, our books languish on dusty shelves, unread and unloved. I go to bookstores, libraries, grocery stores, etc. Each setting brings its own set of readers and colorful people. As my wife once said, "We meet the nicest people at book events."

For the most part, that's true. Most of the people are well-read, interesting, and interested. We have wonderful discussions about the book, the plot, the characters, and what readers would like to see in future books. It's fun and invigorating.

Then there are the other encounters. The ones that left me...unsure of just what had transpired. At an event in Superior, Wisconsin at woman confronted me, yelling that I'd stolen the title of HER book. She proclaimed that she was going to sue me and make me recover and destroy all the books I'd sold. After the woman left, the bookstore's proprietor walked over and said, "I think I'm glad she didn't have a gun." Luckily, that incident has never been repeated.

I once asked a woman what she'd like me to inscribe in her book. Her response, "Oh, I don't know. You come up with something." Since I write mysteries, I thought it would be clever to write, "To ____, a mysterious woman."  The woman read the inscription and tears filled her eyes. "You can see right into my soul." I was stunned and replied. "No, not really. I just use that inscription on all my books." She clutched the book to her chest and thanked me. I resolved to NEVER use that inscription again.

People often tell me they're thinking about writing a book and ask for hints. One woman, accompanied by a man with a wild "Albert Einstein" hairdo, asked for tips on writing dialogue. I told her that as I write, the characters often speak to me, directing the dialogue and story. With those words, the man, who'd been silently listening, perked up and said, "I hear voices too. Sometimes they tell me to do bad things." The woman apologized and quickly bundled the man away. There is probably a plot there...

A woman at a book club (I've discovered the book club is often a euphemism for drinking group) button-holed me. "I like your main character and the evolving sexual tension between him and a female character. Here's what's going to happen in your next book..." I was delighted that she was so engaged with the characters that she wanted their evolving relationship to be included in the next book but was taken aback by her firm, detailed view on exactly how their romance was going to progress. 

Most recently, one of my consultants and a beta reader, sent me an email after reading part of Gator Bait. "My stepson is a Florida cop, and the ranger you've created is exactly like his former partner." She went on to fill me in on the former partner's quirks and foibles, adding to the realism and texture of the character. Her guidance was so successful that she later sent me a follow-up email. Unaware of his daughter's input, her father commented, in salty terms, just how perfectly distasteful that character was.

On another positive note, a woman interrupted my discussion of a recent library signing, announcing that she had to depart for another event. "I'm the high school English teacher, and there are a couple things I need to tell you about this book." At that point mental alarms started sounding. Thoughts of dangling participles and misplaced commas bounced around my head. I smiled and let her proceed. "You've done a great job of creating relatable characters. But more than that, you took the time to tie off every loose plot thread. That's truly rare, and a gift to the reader who doesn't have to wonder how those subplots were resolved. Thank you."

Yes, there have been a few uncomfortable encounters, but the fun and interesting events far outweigh the negative. I look forward to every event, blissfully unaware of who I'll meet and what they might share.

Many thanks are owed to the BWL Publishing editors who've helped me write the best possible books. I appreciate their input, along with the assistance of my "family" of beta readers, proofreaders, and media experts.

Check out my books at:

www.bookswelove.net/hovey-dean/


6 comments:

  1. I've had fun book signings, and others where people avoided me like the plague, lol. My book club likes to drink wine, but we do discuss the book. Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post and brings back memories. I once had a book signing with paper authors. I was epubed and brought discs for the computer. One attendant looked at me. "Aren't you old to be doing such trendy things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love meeting readers at book events. They often have a different take on our characters and stories. One asked me what happened to a secondary character. He was a minor villain who never got his comeuppance. When the book was republished, I made sure this minor villain met a just punishment. You've got to give the readers what they want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny! Even your not-so-good encounters are interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one heck of an entertaining post about book signings!
    Definitely story possibilities in your encounter with the disturbed individual...follow up!

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive