Monday, March 21, 2022

Digging Deep into WWII, surprises and revelations, by Diane Scott Lewis

 


“A rich plot with building suspense, the writing is perfect and flows well. I loved this story.”   ~History and Women~

To purchase Ghost Point: Ghost Point

To purchase my novels and other BWL booksBWL


For my upcoming novel set during WWII, I decided on Brittany, France for the setting. I wanted to visit there, but Covid decided otherwise. So, research was key.

Two of my critique partners are Frenchwomen, one whose husband lived in France during the war. As a child he thought nothing of the invading troops of Germans. Out in the country, early in the war, the reprisals were minimal. The soldiers were kind to the children, giving them gifts; a different side than what you usually hear. 


My biggest obstacle in my story is how to make a Nazi commandant palpable to my audience. There were so many cruel officers, and of course, horrible actions.

I think I've managed to show a man caught in a war he never wanted, and he'll make a vital decision to sabotage what is happening in the region he's put in charge of.

My heroine, Englishwoman Norah, is trapped in France by the invasion, and to her chagrin, finds herself attracted to the commandant. She sees the decency in him. Her life will be turned upside down by her decisions.

She loves to paint, but will she be required to go beyond painting to help the growing Resistance? She'll be at direct odds with her lover, and must make a choice.

Now I have to figure out how to plant explosives on a submarine. The life of a writer!

German U-boat

If the FBI ever checked my computer 'searches' they'd think I was a poisoner, a knife wielder, and a bomb maker.

I wish my father were still alive. He'd have so much to tell me about the war, as he served as a young Radioman aboard navy ships. He was stationed at the notorious Guantanamo Bay in Cuba. In fact, he swears he gave it the nickname, Gitmo. 

Carl Dahlstrom, my father in the navy.

He also worked, of all places, in Rio de Janeiro, but he'd never talk about it.

Years later, after his death, I happened to read in the paper that a secret submarine refueling site in Rio had just been declassified. I had my answer, but it was too late to discuss it with him.

So many secrets yet to discover!


Diane lives with her husband and a very naughty dachshund in Western Pennsylvania.

To find out more about her and her books: http://www.dianescottlewis.org



5 comments:

  1. Interesting things one learns doing research. Your book sounds intriguing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raised in France after the war, I heard lots of stories from my parents. My father spent most of the war in a POW camp, and my mother escaped occupied Paris to the countryside. Of course, in their stories, my parents weren't kind toward the German officers, and sided with the Resistance. But now, many other stories surface, where German officers resisted their leaders and tried to stop the war. As we often find out after the fact, life is never black and white, but many shades of gray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dad would never talk about his war service, not until the year 2000 when he and Mum celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary. I was home from Canada, my sister from New Zealand and we learnt things about Dad that we never had a clue about. So many stories. Will look forward to reading your book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments. I had a family emergency yesterday and forgot to check in. I appreciate your thoughtful posts. I sure wish my dad was here to talk about his experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Diane! How many stories vanish when our elders pass on! So strange that WW2 is now history, too. A fascinating notion for a WIP and best wishes on that. I remember my Dad making his first appearance in my life after getting home from Burma, but he too rarely had anything to say about the experience--except jokes--which spoke more than words about how terrible war is for everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive