Sunday, March 13, 2022

The Irish Are Everywhere



Happy St. Patrick's Day, readers!


My heroine Ursula of Mercies of the Fallen and Ursula's Inheritance found her Irish born champion in Rowan Buckley, an Irish transplant to Canada during An Gorta Mor, (The Great Hunger 1845-1850.)

Rowan was a member of an Irish diaspora (Diaspóra na nGael), which describes people like me, and I suspect many of you-- ethnic Irish descendants who live outside the island of the saints and sinners. There are over 100 million of us...more than fifteen times the population of Ireland itself!


Did you know:

* It has been suggested that St. Brendan visited Bermuda on one of his legendary voyages. The beautiful Bermudiana is a flower that grows only there...and around Lough Erne and Lough Melvin in County Fermanagh, and is known as Feilistrín gorm, or Blue-eyed grass.


*  On the Bridge of Tears (Droichead na nDeor) in West Donegal, Ireland, family and friends of emigrants would accompany them as far as the bridge before saying goodbye, while the emigrants would continue on...



* Many of the Wild Geese (expatriate Irish soldiers of the 16th, 17th and 18th century) who had gone to Spain and their descendants continued on to its colonies in South America. Many rose to positions in the Spanish governments there. In the 1820s, some helped liberate the continent. Bernardo O'Higgins was the first Supreme director of Chile. When Chilean troops occupied Lima during the War of the Pacific in 1881, they put in charge Patricio Lynch, whose grandfather came from Ireland to Argentina and then moved to Chile. Other Latin American countries that have Irish settlement include Puerto Rico and Colombia.





6 comments:

  1. That's lots of descendants living everywhere in the world. Now I get why St. Patrick's Day is celebrated everywhere, including schools :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good excuse for a party! Let's celebrate everybody's heritage, I say.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing Eileen. No wonder the Irish and their traditions are so popular around the world. I'm French, but on St Patrick's Day, I celebrate with the Irish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're most welcome to, dear Vijaya! Erin go Bragh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Among my mongrel heritage, I have a touch of Irish. When I visited Ireland, I saw the town where my ancestor lived and left.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As the first-generation born outside Ireland, I love everything Irish! Thanks for sharing, Eileen :)

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive