Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Tell M A Story by Janet Lane Walters #BWLAuthor #MFRWAuthor #amwriting #stories

 

I probably drove my parents and grandparets crazy when I was a child. I had a grandfather with a great Cockney accent. He bgfan reading to me when I was an infant. Around the age of four I discovered library andgot my first card. Then I could read for myself. My cry became, Tell me a story. Of the adults in my life, my grandfather and father were the ones who were best at this. Then I grew up and decided to begin writing my own stories.

Each one of us has their own way of writing, a method that works for us. This became evident on Saturday at our writer's meeting. I watched my friends who read for critique frantically searching through their pages to add notes as well as accept those ones we wrote for them to take home. Most of them said when they arrived hom, said they would immediately rewrite the scene. I shook my head. 

What I had read was rough draft and I said so. One of them made a remark about wishing her rough drafts made sense. All I could think about was they must be pansters. There are also plotters. I don't fit any of these categories. I am a planner. I always ahve my blurb written before I write a word of the book. every night when I go to sleep, I hone in on my world and ilently i shout, Tell me a story.  My characters don't even have names or descriptions. When I do is dream of their adventures whether it's what they do, what's happening and slowly the story unfolds.

Then I write a chapter synopsis. I never now how long a book will be when I begin. My dreams at night tell me what the next event will be. Then I start writing focusing mostly on plot. There are two more written drafts after scribbling notes all over the printed out what ever draft I'm on. After the plot draft, I head to the setting draft and then the character draft. Then comes the final revision and the book is done.

Works for my but it's taken fifty plus eyars of writing to get this down to a system.

My Places

   https://twitter.com/JanetL717

 https://www.facebook.com/janet.l.walters.3?v=wall&story_f

bid=113639528680724

 http://bookswelove.net/

 http://wwweclecticwriter.blogspot.com

https://www.pinterest.com/shadyl717/

 

Buy Mark

https://bookswelove.net/walters-janet-lane/

 


6 comments:

  1. It sure works for you, Janet! Thank you for your wonderful character-driven stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eileen, I think my stories are plot driven

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started as a pantser. Now I'm somewhere between a pantser and a plotter. Maybe one day I'll be as organized as you are, Janet.
    I have to give my characters names from the start, but these names will change many times during the story LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it amazing how each writer's method of writing is different? Finding the 'perfect' method takes time. I, too, use my dreams to 'follow' the next scene. I call it the playground of my mind. Thanks for sharing your insight, Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading your method of writing your stories was so interesting! I love learning how authors figure out their stories. You dream yours...love that. Keep writing!!!

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive