Sunday, August 21, 2022

The Long, Extremely Hot Summer by Diane Scott Lewis



 


Last year I welcomed into my repertoire of published novels, my oyster war story, based on true events, Ghost Point. A love triangle complicates my characters' lives as they battle through history in 1956 Virginia.

Someone told me this scenario would never happen, people shooting each other over oysters. But truth is stranger than fiction.

"The reader is thrust into what happens to both Yelena and Luke with emotional tension. The plot moves at a good pace. If you're a fan of sagas and dramatic fiction, you'll enjoy Ghost Point. Highly recommend!"    ~ N. N. Lights

Purchase here, ON SALE! on Amazon


Climate change is scorching us, the summer heat index up to 110, or is that just because we went camping.

Fires everywhere, burning up California, my home state. Friends evacuated. My oldest friend has had to leave her home, twice.




We drove to Nashville, TN, for a reunion of ex-sailors stationed in Nea Makri, Greece. Three years ago, we traveled to Greece after a forty year absence. We loved it.

In June we camped outside of Nashville in torrid heat. You couldn't breath in the thick humidity. An outside plug on our RV melted in the high temperature.

Runways in England were melting, that's how bad it got. 

It sounds like a dystopian novel, or for us older folk: The Twilight Zone.

Here is the Greek reunion in the air-conditioned hotel. My hubby and I are in the back row. I'm sixth from the left. Story of my life, (the back row) for being tall.



In July we traveled to Gettysburg to visit with his niece and sister. His niece has a camp and a beautiful outside set-up. But again, the weather turned scorching, the humidity impossible.

I sat in front of the fan and let it blow through my blouse. There's me on the far right. My husband is enjoying his home-made pina coladas, something he learned to make in Puerto Rico.



The earth seems to be melting, but the winters in Pennsylvania can still be harsh. Too many believe climate change isn't happening. But something is pushing nature to extremes.

Fires are everywhere in summer, in Greece as well. Now there's flooding in Kentucky. Lives were lost. Yosemite National Park is threatened by fire. Last year, Yellowstone was flooded. 

I rarely drive anymore, so I'm doing my part in cutting down on emissions. But the United States is so vast, it's difficult to function without a car. Are electric cars the way to go? But fossil fuels generate electricity.

Now our stream is running dry, the one that we get our house water from. My son's well is almost dry, too. We desperately need rain.

The weather has gone berserk.

Of course, all this would make a great novel: the future is now, upon us, not a millennia away.


Diane lives in Western Pennsylvania with her husband and one naughty dachshund.

To find out more about her and her books:  DianeScottLewis





8 comments:

  1. Climate change is upon us. Here we had an April with rain evrey day. Now it's August and we're on drought precautions. Though not an electric car, I've driven a Prius since 2001, the same car do do my part. I enjoyed your book with the triangle and oysters

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Janet. You are always so kind to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent piece, thank you Diane. Here in the UK, I went for my daily walk yesterday and found a huge crack in the grassland by our local wood. Scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not only the weather that has gone berserk... some people too :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were warned, but now global warming is upon us. In Arizona, it's wild fires in the hot months, and right now with the monsoon, destructive storms, torrential rains, and flooding. Thanks for sharing, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely post, Diane. And very relevant to the times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful story! I'm sorry to hear how bad it is there. We've had flooding and fires an storms here too. It's the world over. Makes you angry that the greedy go on polluting the world. Changes are happening though, but it's going to take time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hot is hot, and it seems to be hot everywhere. I hope your stream gets replenished soon.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive