Friday, October 7, 2022

Autumnal Thoughts by Eileen O'Finlan

 

Click here for purchase information

Click here for Eileen O'Finlan's website 

There's something about autumn. It's gorgeous, mysterious, spooky, and magical all at once. It conjures up thoughts of trees ablaze in red, gold, yellow, and orange, of Halloween ghosts and goblins, harvests of apples, pumpkins, and winter squash, of simmering soups and hearty stews, the swish of leaves underfoot, and crisp, tangy air. Yet it has a tinge of sadness as well. The year is dying. That lovely, slightly fruity scent in the air is created by the decay of leaves and vegetation.  For many of us in New England, autumn is bittersweet. It is stunningly beautiful, but also the harbinger of the long, cold winter that's surely on its way.

Getty Images

Autumn is a special time of year for me. Each of its months brings a different emotion. In September, I mourn the loss of summer's warmth and freedom. By October, I've usually made my peace with summer's departure, and I'm ready to embrace autumn in all its beauty and bounty. And in November, I'm consumed with the coming holidays.

The high point in my current work-in-progress takes place in a Vermont October. Working all of that month's enchantments into the story is both challenging and rewarding. Since I am close to that point in the writing now, at least I won't have far to look for inspiration. A glimpse outside my window will do.

Getty Images

2 comments:

  1. Love the autumn colors and am eagerly waiting for the trees to turn colors. I also enjoy your stories

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures. Here, in Arizona, the autumn is turning the leaves in the high country. Down in the Valley of the Sun, October is still flirting with 100 degrees. It will be December before we can think of stews and soups and warm blankets... when the high temperatures reach the 70s. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive