Friday, May 5, 2023

Research by Rosemary Morris

 


Visit Rosemary's  Author page for purchase information

Research

I have a file in which I write down ideas for romantic classical novels. I am drawn to one which I might write in 2025. I have a mental image of a young lady in times past. She has eyes the colour of bluebells, skin white as lily of the valley and hair fair as primroses. The comparisons are because she will fit into the story in which a garden will be a prominent part.

Before I begin writing I complete intensive research. For this tale I have made notes about robins, because I love it when a robin watches me work in my organic garden from a short distance waiting for me to dig up a worm or insect.

The results of a survey declared that robins are the U.K’s favourite bird. I am always delighted when one visits me although I know it will defend its territory sometimes at the cost of its life.

I appreciate the little redbreast’s cheerful song all year round and am amazed because it will sing at night by light from lamps in the street.

In my garden these small birds have built nests in the  shed, when I left the door open by  mistake, in ivy growing up railings along my garden and in crevices in trees, and in nest boxes, to conceal them from cats. Throughout the year I scatter birdseed. I enjoy watching them hop and fly around my garden even in the coldest weather, when they are at risk of death from starvation caused by frozen ground and snow that makes it impossible to feed on worms etc.

During bitterly cold, weather when I was a young child, I remember chanting The north wind doth blow and we shall have snow. What will poor robin do then? I was very sorry for robins and glad because my mother scattered bread outside for them and continued to do so throughout her long life.

 

Folk law

It is said that after Jesus’ birth, Joseph gathered wood to add to the fire and robins fanned it with their wings to keep it alight. According to folk law, either the Virgin Mary rewarded the little birds with red breasts, or they were touched by Christ’s blood which gave them red feathers.

Some people believe that if a robin signifies a loved one’s visit from beyond the grave. it is a sign that a lost relative is visiting them from beyond the grave. They are also a symbol of a new beginning and, or signs of good fortune and good luck. So, it is thought messages from robins should be taken seriously.

I read that a lady’s Irish mother said a robins have the souls of loved ones who pay visits to give their love. Her previous day was special because a month after her father’s anniversaries, two beautiful robins flew down from the apple trees, settled outside the French doors and peered in at her through the glass.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Robins cheer me up, except the one who nested in our cherry tree. Picking cherries became a matter of strategy on my part. When I yelled for my mother and she came, the robin ceased it's dive-boming runs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading books where the author does serious research. I always learn something new. Rosemary's books are always fascinating because she transports you to the time period and the place with details found during her intensive research. Thanks, Rosemary, for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive