Saturday, March 16, 2024

Post-surgery sillies, by J.C. Kavanagh

 

The award-winning Twisted Climb series. Click here for purchase options.
https://www.bookswelove.net/kavanagh-j-c/

If you've ever been sedated for surgery, or been with someone after surgery, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Post-surgery sillies.

My partner, Ian, was scheduled for root canal surgery a couple of weeks ago. Due to the deterioration of the back molar, the oral surgeon mentioned that he may have to remove the tooth. Either way, he recommended full sedation.

First, a little background. Ian hates going to the dentist. I mean, HATES it. Not the dentist or the hygienists, no. It's reclining in a chair, mouth open to the point of splitting, and helpless to whatever they want to do. The vulnerability of it!

But back to the oral surgeon. We arrived early and they ushered him in immediately. I sat in their comfortable waiting room, waiting. And waiting. After two hours, the door opens and there's Ian, hanging on to the dental surgeon. He wobbled toward me like a drunken Popeye, feet moving forward like cement slugs. Ian's face was pale and his lips cracked. His eyes kept crossing and closing, unable to focus. If the surgeon wasn't propping him up, he would have fallen to the floor with a silly, lopsided grin. 

"Hey babe," I greeted him.

"They did it," he slurred.

"Did what?"

"They chopped up a whole bunch of ostriches and stuffed them in my mouth."

The surgeon tried not to smile. I put my arm around Ian and together with the surgeon, we propelled him out the door and into the car. 

I strapped him into the passenger seat and stood back.

"Are you OK?"

He shook his head, eyes glazed.

"Look," he slurred and opened his mouth, pointing into gaping bloody hole that once held a tooth. "They gave me a hippo mouth."

Then I had to laugh. Ian appeared insulted. "It's true," he insisted. Then he leaned back and passed out.

Poor Ian. But oh, how I wish I'd filmed this delightful silliness!

Keep smiling, and make sure you tell the ones you love that you love them :)


Ian being silly, pre-surgery.


GREAT NEWS!

The Simcoe County Museum is hosting a month-long author exhibition and I am honoured to be part of it! There are 17 authors in total, representing 17 areas of Simcoe County. Readers will know that I live within Simcoe County and in fact, The Twisted Climb series takes place within the New Tecumseth area of Simcoe County. The Museum is located at 1151 Hwy. 26 in Minesing, Ontario L9X 0Z7. Come on by!






J.C. Kavanagh, author of
The Twisted Climb - A Bright Darkness (Book 3), Best Young Adult Book 2022 FINALIST at Critters Readers Poll
and
The Twisted Climb - Darkness Descends (Book 2) voted BEST YA Book 2018, Critters Readers Poll, and Best YA Book FINALIST at The Word Guild, Canada
AND
The Twisted Climb,
voted BEST YA Book 2016, P&E Readers Poll
Voted Best Local Author, Simcoe County, Ontario, 2021
Novels for teens, young adults and adults young at heart
Email: author.j.c.kavanagh@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/J.C.Kavanagh
www.amazon.com/author/jckavanagh
Twitter @JCKavanagh1 (Author J.C. Kavanagh)
Instagram @authorjckavanagh


4 comments:

  1. I read this one aloud to my husband. That trip to the dentist is a classic! Congratulations on "doing the author thing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahaha! Yes I'm still chuckling at it too ;)

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive