Monday, April 8, 2024

So You've Finished Your Novel... Now What? by Vanessa C. Hawkins

 

 

 Vanessa Hawkins Author Page

    

Yes! You see correctly! I have finally included another cover amongst my books! Twice Hung is finally finished (at least the draft) and I can rest easy knowing that it has now flown off to visit the editors, who will--hopefully--rip it apart until I cry and feel sorry for myself. A good editor does that, ya know. Any editor that tells you the first draft is perfect is... well, fibbin'. Get you a Doctor Frankenstein if you can, because an editor that can take a few bare bones and help you to stick some meat on them, is worth every penny. Really though. But what do you do after you write a novel? In my case... start a new one! But if you aren't ready for that, just sit back and bask in your ability to follow through on an idea.
... I was going to end the blog there for comedic effect, but I DID follow through! I finished a book!
I think I'll watch an entire crime docuseries... With icecream... What do you do to celebrate when you finish a book? After George R. R. Martin finishes a book he...
Just kidding! George R. R. Martin never finishes books...

3 comments:

  1. I would never send a rough draft to anyone. Writing that is my thinking process and tends to be disjointed. I let it sit for a week or so and then rewrite and rewrite at least twice more before it's sent. The real trick is how long I've been writing stories, poems and books. Over 50 years gives you a bit of knowing when it's fit to be read. Keep writing. That's the only way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never send a first draft to an editor either. It takes me five to ten rewrites to show a chapter to my critique partner, and another ten rewrites of the entire book before I send it to the editor. Of course, I've been accused of being a perfectionist. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! Yes--heavens! Never send out a rough draft!!! And always listen to JL Walters... :)

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive