Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Lovely Maeve Binchy by Karla Stover

A biography on Maeve Binchy just hit our library shelves, and I snatched it up. I think I read all her books and bought a few to reread. I remember when Minnie Driver was hired for the movie, Circle of Friends, my favorite of all the Binchy books and how displeased (but in a gracious way) Ms. Binchy was because heroine, Bennie, was a big girl and Minnie Driver wasn't. What I didn't realize but learned in the bio. was Ms. Binchy was six-foot tall and what Alexander McCall Smith would call, "traditionally built."

In reading the bio, I learned what a penny candle is (Light a Penny Candle), and also that not every author makes for an interesting biography. Ms. Binchy traveled a lot, partied a lot, and drank a lot. She lost her faith but, nevertheless, was buried with Catholic rites. More of her books were made into movies than were shown here, at least in the Puget Sound area--more's the pity. But here's the cool thing: she lives on in uTube and was a delightful speaker. It's easy to spend half-an-hour or so listening to a charming Irish brogue tell stories. Goodbye and God bless, Maeve Binchy, thanks for the many hours of good reading.

5 comments:

  1. I've been an avid reader of Maeve Binchy since I was a small child. My mother loved her books, and always passed them onto me when she'd read them.

    I will look out for her biography, but as you say, some biographies simpy aren't interesting.


    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved everything she wrote Karla, and have copies of all of them in my bookcase. They are always worth re-reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read several of her books. Thanks for sharing these interesting facts about her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Maeve Binchy's books so much. Her short stories were good too, especially The Blue Dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I miss this yesterday. Love Irish brogues and when I spent nearly two weeks in Ireland I became just a listener to the lovely liquid language.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive