Friday, July 23, 2021

What's in a Name by Victoria Chatham

 

AVAILABLE HERE


All novels are populated by characters and those characters need names. With writing historical novels, or novels set in other countries, characters' names require a little more attention. Are the names appropriate for their era or country? 

As an author of historical romance, I have most of my work done for me as all I need do is Google the popular male and female names for any given year and go from there. Please note: Google is a starting point, not the be-all and end-all for any type of research. Visiting cemeteries, especially historic ones like Highgate Cemetary in London, the final resting place of Karl Marx and George Michael, can be fascinating. Visiting a country churchyard is always a voyage of discovery, especially you wander amongst the older headstones. 

Image courtesy Pixabay.com

 I have also used parish records like this one from my own family history.



Because my settings are mostly English, I can pinpoint the county my characters populate and run a list of names for that area. My next Regency romance, Charlotte Gray, is set mostly in the New Forest in the county of Hampshire, England, so I researched both first names and surnames from that area in the early 1800s.

Once I have a list of names, I consider how easy those names are to pronounce and if the first and second names not only fit together but also suit my characters. Into that mix, I must consider the intricacies of the British peerage if I include lords and ladies in my books. Burke’s Peerage is an invaluable resource for this.

People were often named for the trade in which they were skilled like the English surnames Smith, Baker, Archer, and Tyler, or after the towns or countries from where they originated like York, Hamilton, or French.

First names were often handed down from father to son, mother to daughter, which could get confusing if you had a long line of Edwards or Marys and even more so if, like the boxer George Foreman, all his five sons were named George. Today it seems anyone can name a child anything and sometimes seems more by fancy than reason.

What I find frustrating is when I come across a name in a book and have no knowledge of how to pronounce it. Here again, the internet is a useful resource, especially www.howtopronounce.com. Type the name in the search field ‘and listen to the result.  If you are using an invented name it is only fair to your reader to qualify it in some way for the reader to easily understand it.

Names, whether real or imagined, need to be a solid anchor for readers to identify with characters and, hopefully, come to know and love them.



Victoria Chatham

  AT BOOKS WE LOVE

 ON FACEBOOK

 


 

 

6 comments:

  1. Names are important. I often write fantasy and some of the names are made up. People must be able to pronounce them. Keep writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire anyone who writes fantasy. It's not a genre I've ever got my head around although I must say I enjoy reading it.

      Delete
  2. When I stumble on a 'weird' or 'inappropriate' character's name, it sometimes takes away from the story itself. Names are important, in stories & real life, and these names should fit the individuals who in turn should be able to grow into their names. That being said, I'm bad at finding the right names right away, so most of my fictional characters go through one or more changes of name as I write their stories :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recognizing a name doesn't fit the character is an awesome skill to have.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely agree, Victoria. I love it when the author does their research well. A wrong name, especially in historical novels, can throw me out of the story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here, Vijaya. Thanks for dropping in.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive