Thursday, June 27, 2024

How Martial Arts found their way into my novels – by Vijaya Schartz


Preview of my upcoming novel's cover (October 2024)
Find more of my books on my BWL page HERE

Once a Martial artist, always a Martial artist. My fascination with Martial arts started early. I remember being the smallest in my Judo and Karate Club as an early teen, in France, learning the ropes from big men three times my size and weight. It made for good fun when we did David and Goliath public demonstrations, as the teacher pitted me against the tallest, biggest, baddest, strongest man in the club. The spectators cheered when I threw him across the mat.

I practiced other sports over the years, Gymnastics, surfing, skating, etc. But Martial Arts always remained on my mind.


Later, in Hawaii, I discovered Aikido and immersed myself in that discipline. There, too, we did public demonstrations, to show that technique and agility always overcame brute strength. For a 5-foot, one-hundred-pounds girl like me, it was the perfect equalizer. Then I learned to wield the sword, the long pole, the knife, the night-stick, and other weapons.


After many years of daily practice, I became the teacher. With age, I realized I didn’t have to take hard falls on the mat, day after day to keep my skills sharp. I moved to a more peaceful form of Martial Art, Tai-Chi.




But all these disciplines have become part of me, like a second nature. And, of course, this is reflected in my novels. Whether they are Samurai, bounty hunters, rebels, spaceship captains, Valkyries, Amazons, avenging angels, soldiers, or law enforcers, I write strong heroines and brave heroes, fighting for justice, to save the galaxy, or to defend what they love.

If you like action adventure with a hint of romance, check out my science fiction novels. Here are some recommendations. Find them on:

amazon B&N - Smashwords - Kobo


amazon B&N - Smashwords - Kobo


Happy Reading!



Vijaya Schartz, award-winning author
Strong Heroines, Brave Heroes, cats


2 comments:

  1. Never been involved in martial arts but admire those who are disciplined. My steps on the wilder side are involved with using the mind in many ways. Looking forward to reading your next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, embrace the martial arts - kickboxing is my ideal. However, as the gray hairs continue to intrude, I am now considering Tai-Chi :)

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive